Wayne

"James A. Finley" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for "half-sour garlic" Jewish Deli-Style
>> pickles.
>>
>> Are "half-sour" and/or "Jewish Deli-Style" pickle recipes what i'm
>> looking for? Are they one and the same?
>>
>> I've done a Google search for both descriptions and i'm not sure if
>> they're what i'm looking for.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Walt
>>

> Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
> Posted by : Leslie
>
> These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a
> glass or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved
> (no need to peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4
> cup of kosher salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to
> dissolve salt. Leave on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days.
> Taste, and if done to your liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a
> week for best flavor, as they will continue to pickle and get cloudy.
> Enjoy,
> Leslie

This looks great, but I have a question. What would be the effect of
halving or quartering the cucumbers? I've never made half-sours before,
but the ones we like most are those that are very "fresh" (less sour?).
I'm wondering if cutting the cucumbers would yield a more consistent
degree of "cure" through the pickle, and in a quick fashion.

TIA

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b