williamwaller

On 8/29/04 9:13 PM, "Fred" > wrote:

> "Fred" > wrote in message
>> I'm still trying to reproduce the large-hole artisanal crumb I see in some
>> breads. Truthfully, I don't care for it but I want to know how to do it.
>> I've tried baking right after fermentation, I've undermixed and overmixed
>> and underproofed and overproofed, I've even tried wet doughs (65% liquid

> at
>> any rate.) I get my small, uniform and lovely crumb every time. What

> have
>> I not done? Or what have I done wrong? Thanks.
>>
>> Fred
>> Foodie Forums
>> http://www.foodieforums.com
>>

> Let's go through some of these. If I get the dough moist enough that it's
> almost a batter my hearth loaves will look like pancakes. I suppose I could
> live with panned loaves but that isn't what I had in mind. Someone talked
> about "pouring" a dough. My doughs don't pour. I have tried over mixing.
> I've even gone to the point of breaking the protein strands with a 25 minute
> mix. I haven't tried using a lower gluten flour but I've certainly tried
> mixing rye, spelt and whole wheat flours which certainly decreased the
> "average" gluten in the dough. I've tried making up the dough right after
> mixing and then baking it directly without deflating and proofing. I'll go
> back to the well on the high hydration idea because I've never gone to 80%.
> So how do you get a normal looking loaf from a dough that is so wet it will
> spread like batter? I want to conquer this without resorting to a panned
> loaf. Thanks to all of you for the input.
>
> Fred
> Foodie Forums
> http://www.foodieforums.com
>
> Fred,

Janet and Kenneth offered good advice. Don't handle the dough. Ease it from
it's proofing container and minimally shape. To which, I would add, be sure
to provide a warm final proof environment around 85-90 degrees F.

Kenneth indicated low gluten flour as in: all purpose flour (as opposed to
bread flour). The rye, spelt and whole wheat flours add husk material which
punctures the crumb and degasses the bread.

I do OK with this at 68 to 70 percent hydration (and use lots of flour when
I handle the dough). I feed the starter twice the day before. You need an
active starter and lots of it to push this loaf. I don't mix much or knead
much either. A long cool fermentation replaces the mechanical gymnastics
(not to be confused with warm final proof).

Someone else mentioned a hot oven. I'd shoot for at least 475. 500 F. is
better. And I'd back off the salt a bit. Use half what you usually use.

Have your good olive oil at the ready... you'll get there.

Will

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough