Janet Bostwick

"Fred" > wrote in message
> I'm still trying to reproduce the large-hole artisanal crumb I see in some
> breads. Truthfully, I don't care for it but I want to know how to do it.
> I've tried baking right after fermentation, I've undermixed and overmixed
> and underproofed and overproofed, I've even tried wet doughs (65% liquid

at
> any rate.) I get my small, uniform and lovely crumb every time. What

have
> I not done? Or what have I done wrong? Thanks.
>
> Fred
> Foodie Forums
> http://www.foodieforums.com

You have to minimize the handling, particularly after the first rise. Pour
the dough from the bowl onto a lightly floured board, do not punch down--you
are trying to preserve the air bubbles that you have created during
fermentation. Do not knead, etc., Cut the dough into the pieces that you
want and shape with very gentle hands and an economy of handling. More
handling equals finer crumb.
Janet