Posted to rec.food.cooking
MisterDiddyWahDiddy MisterDiddyWahDiddy is offline

Default Evaporated milk vs. regular?

On Wednesday, December 23, 2015 at 1:00:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On 24/12/2015 05:20 dsi1 wrote:

> >> Between my wife, son and myself, we use about 5 gallons of whole milk a week.
> >> Yesterday, the supermarket had quarts of 40% cream nearing last sale date
> >> marked down to $1.99. I bought 3, and took one to work for coffee. This
> >> morning with breakfast (leftover beef stew) I had a large cafe au lait.
> >> Now I'm having a second one. Day off today. I've been working late shifts
> >> the past several weeks, and that's about over. My old person brain needs to
> >> be asleep at midnight.

> > 5 gallons a week - oh no! Everything they said about white people is true! In fact, it's much worse that we could ever imagine!

European genes do predispose a person to be able to digest lactose through
adulthood. Those who can't digest lactose can buy lactase pills that work
very well. I do recognize that it is more healthful to consume cultured
milk, where most/almost all lactose has been digested by bacteria, but I
*really* enjoy milk.

> That's 1 liter per person per day. I think I'd start to moo
> after a couple of weeks.

Probably half of that 5 gallons is me. Since I went back to work, I let
myself drink all the milk I want, though with the end of Christmas Season
they have cut my hours (a good thing, since I prefer to average the minimum
# of hours that qualify me for cheap health insurance), so I'll cut back on
the milk. The days that I work I burn a huge # of calories, and I don't
want to be overweight.

> --
> Bruce

--Bryan