Janet Bostwick

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20040829151425.4e41b3f0@wafer...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> "Fred" > wrote:
>

> > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing

bread
> > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
> Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
> made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

old
> one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
> my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> repair - and it's still going strong.
>
> So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
>
> I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a week,
often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch capacity
and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach the bread
making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any kind) is mixed
a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an autolyse.
Janet