Fred

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
> one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
> and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

I've had no luck at all with large hole artisanal crumbs in my breads and
I've done all the normal things. It is, however, a matter of technique and
not ingredients. Here's my normal formula for Italian. It will make about
a 2 1/2 lb. dough.

1 lb. 12 oz. high gluten flour
1/2 oz. sugar
1/2 oz. salt
1 lb. water
3/4 oz. fresh yeast

Mix for around 10 minutes until the dough no longer has any roughness in its
texture but not any longer. Ferment 1 1/2 hours. Deflate, make up, baste
lightly with olive oil, slash and proof until doubled. I usually bake in my
ovens at 375 until the bread sounds right when snapped with a finger and has
a dark golden crust (typically 20 minutes.) If you are making fast baking
loaves like baguettes, then go to 400 degrees. Internal temp is usually 195
to 200 F when finished but I haven't tested the temp in ages. I make this
dough 2 or 3 times per week do I've done it many, many times. Take care.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com