Art Sackett

Incontinentius Buttocks > wrote:
> Trouble in paradise; apparently the flour tortilla recipe I've been
> using(http://www.texascooking.com/features...rtortillas.htm),
> which worked great with a rolling pin, is not working so great in my
> new $2000 tortilla press.

My usual flour tortilla recipe calls for white flour, water, and lard
in the proportions, respectively, 16:4:1, e.g. four cups flour, one cup
water, 1/4 cup lard. Mix it all together thoroughly, let it rest for a
half hour to an hour, either wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight
container, then roll or press and cook as usual.

> Do these recipes call for lard or shortening because these two
> options give texture without turning out oily, i.e. they
> harden/congeal after grilling, instead of remaining liquid? Or should
> I just strike a better balance between two teaspoons and six
> tablespoons of oil?

That's a fine question. It would probably be worthwhile to experiment a
bit with the oil, but even more worthwhile to try to find a vendor who
can provide the lard.

Simply put, heart disease be damned, lard is the best shortening agent
there is, period. If you've not used it much, you might be surprised at
the difference it can make.

> If lard/shortening is essential, what can I do to improvise lard?

Is making your own an option? If you've a meat packer nearby who
processes pigs, you might be able to purchase the fat -- since lard's
apparently not heavily used in your locale. I'd guess that rendering
your own lard would become a detested chore, but it might be a good
short-term option. More information on the process:

http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1141.html

It's not at all hard, but carelessness will be punished! If I was to
ask employees to do it, I'd require safety goggles, aprons, and gloves.
No sense setting someone up for a nasty burn in the name of drawing a
paycheck.

> I've seen pork lard mentioned...can I use bacon fat, or is that too
> salty?

I'd imagine that the salt and the smoke (or smoke flavoring chemical)
would yield a tortilla with a disagreeable flavor. I've known a few
folks who said that bacon grease is preferable to vegetable oil, but
I've always been hesitant to try it. If you do, please let us know how
it turns out.

Heck, I'm half tempted to try it myself, now that it's come up. If I
do, I'll post the results here.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication