Lewis Perin

(Gyorgy Sajo) writes:

(bruce) wrote in message . com>...

> > Wow, great info! Thanks for correcting me. I always thought red tea
> > was a much more recent invention and I never knew it was only invented
> > for foriegners. What dates does that book attribute to the other
> > styles of tea?

> There are no other dates. Curiously, despite of a very thorougly
> researched book, with a welth of information about the history of
> green tea, a deep knowledge of Chinese history and society, tea trade
> and cultivation from the earliest days until today, the author does
> not seem to have any knowledge of other teas than black and green! In
> the chapter where he discusses the processing of tea in more recent
> time, he mentions only black and green tea manufacture. In the whole
> book there is virtually no mention of oolong, white, yellow teas or
> puerh. Very puzzling.

I have the same kind of ambivalence about the Evans book. He's
obviously a smart guy with a good sense of how the world works. He's
done a lot of research, and I, for one, learned quite a bit by reading
his book. But tea in China is a vast topic, and it's a small book. I
suspect he wrote about what he was interested in, and non-green,
non-red was outside his experience.

Also (I could be wrong here, for I don't have the book handy - it's
lent to a friend) I suspect he doesn't speak or read Chinese, and I
don't remember reading anything in the book indicating he'd actually
*been* to China.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /