Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruitcake

On 2015-11-11 6:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> 'Do you all make these and give them to each other?' )
>
> That is funny. Most Americans' experience with fruitcake is this (or
> something similar):
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Cake-Boxed-Claxton-Fruitcake/dp/B000YGMK1W/ref=pd_bxgy_325_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=152DFBXMGF7VK BRBWZ6K>
>
> Those crummy things are often purchased as gifts for people one doesn't
> know very well, or as hostess gifts when visiting at the holidays.

Those things explain why so many people dislike fruitcake. Even the best
ones aren't very good. They may look a bit like home made but they
don't taste like it.

> I favor light fruitcake made with dried rather than candied fruit. I
> haven't made any in more than a decade. Since fruitcake is such a
> joke around here, I have a hard time getting people to take them,
> even though they're quite tasty.

I have a few friends and family members who express a great interest in
mine. They would be disappointed not to get some. I don't bother giving
it to people unless I know they like fruitcake.