Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lucretiaborgia@fl.it is offline

Default Fruitcake

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:13:40 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:43:53 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It's that time of year. It is a really crappy fall day here. That makes
>>>it a good day to spend in the kitchen. It is also the time that we have
>>>to start working on Christmas fruitcakes. We picked up the ingredients
>>>for ours on the weekend. I made two batches today. I started one this
>>>morning and it was done in time for me to get out to the gym for a
>>>while. I came home, mixed up the second batch and got it into the oven.
>>>It should be cooked soon. That gives it about 6 weeks to set up in time
>>>for the holidays.

>> You better be careful, I mentioned I was making mincemeat a couple of
>> weeks ago and Kuthe came out with a diatribe about China, Walmart,
>> mammon.

>It always makes me smile when I read here that people have started making
>fruitcakes. Many years ago I was making mine, and an American said to me,
>'Do you all make these and give them to each other?' )

I don't make one anymore, mostly because I could easily eat it all
myself! Every year I make a catnip mouse and give it to a man at
bridge for his mother and she sends me a little mini dark fruit cake.
Maybe a two serving size. She doesn't use alcohol so I feed it some
rum and leave it a couple of days