Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Super cheap food

Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 11/10/2015 5:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 11/9/2015 6:21 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> > > As for canned, I like Goya or Progresso.
> > >

> > Store brand canned beans work just as well and are likely to come
> > from the same mfg.

> I have found some of those that were not up to par, so I stick to
> those brand names. Having said that, if I was on a strict budget,
> agreed that I would get the cheapest ones I could find.

Yup. Me, I use dried and a crockpot.

> Or learn to soak beans successfully. Not something I have done well,
> and I just haven't bothered with it much. Someone else will have
> to advise on that, let's just say.

It's fairly easy. It depends on how much effect beans have on you
(folks who eat them often tend to not be reactive).

Classic: hot water, far more than you need to cook them in, boil 20
minutes then turn off and leave them to cool on the stove. Drain and
refill, they will now cook in fast time and have less bloating effect.

Crockpot: soaked version, same idea with crockpot on high until they
simmer 20 minutes then turn off, let cool and replace the water. Turn
back on and add your onions, smoked hamhock or whatever.

I never bother with soaking but then I learned to make them before I
learned others soak them.

> > > Buy chicken parts when they are on sale. You can bake them or

> > It sure is.

> I missed saying buy chicken legs/thighs or drumsticks on sale.
> That's where you'll get a lot for little, not to mention the
> white meat wouldn't be what I'd use for stock.

I just scored 1.49 perdue whole roaster chickens. It was limit 2 so I
got 2 each day for 3 days.

Don helped me split one in 1/2 and it's in the crockpot making chicken
soup right now. The other 1/2 we cut down to parts, saving the back and
rib bones for more soup. The skin got rendered to crispy bits.

> > Agreed. Learning to shop wisely is the first step. One does not
> > have to live on Ramen.

> I have nothing against it, particularly, but I wouldn't want to live
> on it. Even when I make it (never, anymore), I'd add a handful of
> frozen broccoli florets to make it less ... ramen.

Smile, yet another addition! Yes, dress it up a bit.

Carol