Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Super cheap food

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> in debt. My sends me about 50 bucks a week.
>

> Tonight we are going to pick up some ramen. Boringgggg.
>
> I know beans are cheap, and recommendations on which brands to get?
>

> Any suggestions appreciated. It would be nice to have more options
> than beans and ramen. I'm a total noob to cooking(made scrambled eggs
> for the first time this year). Grew up on mostly proccesed frozen,
> and fast food.
>

> Thanks a lot. I enjoy reading what's on your plate. Maybe one day I
> can cook like you guys
>

> BTW we have Walmart and Safeway near us, along with a few other
> places.

Hi,

*If* you have a crockpot, your chances just expanded on savings but if
not, you need cheap eats for now.

The least expensive beans are dried and made in a crockpot. It costs
almost no electricity to do it that way. Next cheapest is dry beans
boiled for 10 minutes then set with a tight lid overnight on the stove,
then set to a brisk simmer for another hour the next day (type varoes
on how long they take).

Canned beans are not a bad deal. Look for sales. Generally you should
be able to get them for no more than 75cents a can.

There are a lot of things that are simple to start with. Baking a
whole chicken for example is really easy.

I set up some basics that do not need anything fancy and are much
cheaper to make from scratch yet are not hard to do.

Here's a basic suitable for 2. You may want to double the meat if you
can afford it.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Campbell's No-Guilt Chicken Pot Pie
Categories: Chicken
Yield: 4 Servings

1 cn Campbell's Cond. 98% Free
-Cream of Chicken
1 pk Frozen mixed vegetables; 9
-oz
1 c Cubed cooked chicken
1/2 c Milk
1 Egg
1 c Bisquick reduced fat baking
-mix

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In 9" pie plate, mix soup, vegetables
and chicken.

2. Mix milk, egg, and baking mix. Pour over chicken mixture. Bake 30
minutes or until crust is golden.

Recipe by: Campbell Soup Company

Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #999 by " >
on Jan 10, 1998

MMMMM

For the cup cubed chicken, you can use 2 cans. Or you bake a whole
chicken (1.50lb or less for them generally) and save off some for this
for the next night.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Chili (Crockpot)
Categories: Chili, Beef, Crockpot
Yield: 8 Servings

3 One pound cans kidney beans
-drained
2 One pound cans tomatoes -
-cut up
2 lb Ground beef browned and
-drained
2 md Onions coarsely chopped
1 c Diced celery
1 Glove minced garlic
4 -6 tablespoons chili
-powder
1 ts Cumin
-salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in Crockpot in order listed. Stir once.

Cover and cook on Low for 10 12 hours or High 5 - 6 hours. ==
Courtesy of Dale & Gail Shipp, Columbia Md. ==

Converted by MMCONV vers. 1.50 From: Joan Mershon Date: Sun, 01-1

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at
www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Cheese and Potato Casserole
Categories: Crockpot, Vegetables, Casserole
Yield: 1 Servings

2 lb Pkg. frozen hash brown
-potatoes; partially thawed
2 cn (10 oz.) cheddar cheese soup
1 cn (13 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cn French fried onion rings;
-divided
Salt And Pepper; to taste

Combine potatoes, soup, milk, and half the can of onion rings; pour
into greased crockpot and add salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low
for 8 to 9 hours or high for 4 hours. Sprinkle the rest of the onion
rings of top before serving. Posted to recipelu-digest Volume 01
Number 405 by James and Susan Kirkland > on Dec 27,
1997

MMMMM

That can be adapted to a cassarole in the oven, it would be 350F for
about 1 hour.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Crock-Pot Baked Potatoes
Categories: Crockpot, Potatoes
Yield: 1 Servings

Potatoes -- use 6-12 of
Them

Prick pots with fork. Wrap them in foil. Fill Crock-Pot with 6 to 12
potatoes. Cover. Go away. Cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 2 1/2
to 4 hours]. Come back. Don't you dare add water!

Recipe By : Rival Crock-Pot Cookbook

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmdja006.zip

MMMMM