Scott

Default Brining a kosher turkey

In article > ,
"pavane" > wrote:

> Brining is an integral part of koshering fowl,
> this article explains everything in great detail:
> http://www.kashrut.com/articles/Empire_poultry/

No, coating with salt is an integral part of koshering fowl (and red
meat, too), not brining.

Brining is done with a mildly salty solution. Water moves by osmotic
pressure from the water-rich brine into the meat, which comparatively
has much less water. The salt seems to enhance this process, though I've
never seen a satisfactory explanation as to why. So brining ADDS
moisture.

Coating the meat with salt, on the other hand, has exactly the OPPOSITE
effect--for the same reason. The meat has more moisture than the layer
of salt, so water is drawn out--again, by osmosis--from the meat to the
surrounding salt.

It is precisely the latter effect that is sought in making the meat
kosher: drawing *out* fluid (blood).

please mail OT responses only