Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default How to make a classic bourbon old fashioned€”the right way

On 10/10/2015 9:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 10/9/2015 5:42 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.today.com/food/how-make-c...shioned-t49216
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I enjoy bourbon, but never tried making one. Easy enough so I may do it.

> Ed. Please point me to a decent bourbon for cooking. Whatever you
> suggest, I'll probably try a drink or two also. (It all tastes bad and
> harsh to me). Also...is Jack Daniels Black Label the same taste just
> made elsewhere and therefor not officially bourbon?
>
> I want to buy some for 2 recipes. The Bobby Flay bourbon butter that I
> posted today but also I want to have some to come up with a good
> honey-boubon sauce for a chicken dip. I'll have to experiment with
> that one.
>
> I guess I'm just looking for a decent all-around bourbon but I don't
> anything about any of the hard licquor.

I've never been a fan of Jack Daniels, but it is very popular. Nor am I
a fan of Jim Beam. Jack can qualify as a bourbon but chooses not to.
To qualify as bourbon it has to be made in USA and more than 51% corn.

IMO. the cheap brands are all harsh. There are many good ones in the
mid-price range. Makers Mark is a good one. Take a look at the local
price and just about anything in that category will be good.