Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

wrote:

> sure. AKA a >>>>> "stere".

> > > That's buyer beware stuff. I had a couple of cords delivered and
> > > when stacked it clearly was not correct. I called him and there
> > > was no argument. Interestingly enough, the second truck load
> > > brought it exactly to the measurements so I figure he knew damn
> > > fine but thought I was stupid enough not to know, or that I might
> > > not get around to stacking it.

> > Time for another supplier. He's probably throwing in a bit of
> > unseasoned wood as well.

> I was okay with this years wood as I didn't intend to use it this
> year

I'm good this year too. I get 2 cords at a shot and the fellow uses a
generous measure for it, compared to others. Fireplace split, all
hardwood. Generally pretty well seasoned. $285 for 2 cords.
Technically he prices by the truckload but I forget the tonnage of the
truck (it's not like a ford flatbed or anything, big monster), Stacked
you get 2 rows, 4.5ft high and about 30ft long.

That reminds me, time to order another stacking unit (firewood holder).
I'm slowly adding 1-2 a year for better storage. Right now I only have
about 32ft worth plus a cheater that uses 2x4 runners which have to be
replaced pretty often since it sits on the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Landmann-82433...dp/B0000TPRD6/
ref=zg_bs_3563995011_2

Thats pretty much what we get.

Here's the cheater:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_544426-59254...ctId=50285313&
pl=1

The cheater works well enough in the center of 2 of the better ones.

Right now we have less than that amount since we burned much last year,
but we have plenty for this winter then will order more in spring. I
have enough for a harder winter right now since I had about 3/4 cord
left when I ordered 2 more last year. I have about 1.5 of their
version of cords left.

When we order more, we deconstruct the remaining and stack the new then
add the old on top.

Carol

PS: heating with wood effectively will drop your bills but takes some
work to do. It's also great to be able to have a backup incase of a
power outage.