Posted to rec.food.cooking
Embudo Embudo is offline

Default Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On 10/9/2015 6:33 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-10-08 10:39 PM, Je�us wrote:
>

>>> Don't see how a square meter could be used. A cubic meter, sure. AKA a
>>> "stere".

>> Yes, cubic metre, sorry.

> It is sold by the cord here, but from what I have seen, there appears to
> be no consistently applied dimension to those cords.

A cord has a measure, your tundra pseudo-capitalists are just shaking
you hosers down for no good reason.

http://www.woodheat.org/cord-wood.html

A full cord is a large amount of wood. It measures four feet high by
four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a
volume of 128 cubic feet. The amount of solid wood in a cord varies
depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about
85 cubic feet. The rest of the cord volume is air space.

A 'full' cord (4' x 4' x 8') is the official, standard firewood measure,
but four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely
sell firewood in that form. So firewood is not offered for sale in the
form of its official unit measurement, which is why buying firewood can
be confusing.

One-third of a full cord has pieces 16 inches long
Other terms, such as face cord, stove cord or furnace cord are sometimes
used to describe a stack of wood measuring 4 ft. high and 8 ft. long
with a piece length shorter than 4 ft. A common firewood piece length
is 16 inches, or one-third of a full cord, but other lengths are also
available.

Because a winter's supply can cost several hundred dollars, you don't
want to be confused when you are purchasing firewood. If you want to
compare prices from a number of suppliers, take a tape measure to the
dealers' yards and measure the average piece length. If the dealer does
not price the wood in the standard full cord measure, convert the price
to this basic unit. Here are some examples to illustrate the conversion.

Forest Firewood sells what they call a 'face cord' for $75. You find
that the pile is 4 feet high and 8 feet long, with an average piece
length of 16 inches. Divide this length (16 in.) into the full cord
length of 48 in. and multiply by the price.

48 ÷ 16 = 3 x $75 = $225.

Therefore, Forest Firewood sells firewood for $225 per cord.

Sparky sells what he calls a 'stove cord' for $60. It is a pile
measuring 4 feet by 8 feet with an average length of 12 inches. The
calculation is:

48 ÷ 12 = 4 x $60 = $240.

Therefore, Sparky sells firewood for $240 per cord.

Frontier Fuel sells a 4 foot x 8 foot x 18 inch 'furnace cord' for $85.
The result is:

48 ÷ 18 = 2.67 x $85 = $227.

Therefore, Frontier Fuel sells firewood for $227 per cord.

If possible, avoid buying firewood in units that cannot be related to
the standard full cord. Station wagon loads, pick-up truck loads other
units are difficult to compare and can conceal a high price per cord
measure.

Avoid buying firewood by telephone without going to see the wood at the
suppliers yard. Ideally, you can pace off the particular stacks that you
will buy so you know exactly what you are buying.