Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_50_] Jeßus[_50_] is offline

Default Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

wrote:

>>>Am I the only North American who actually likes the metric system and
>>>sees it has being so much easier to understand and to use?

>>LOL. I know a few old coots in Aus that still hate the metric system,
>>it completely baffles me why there would be any resistance to it.
>>
>>I learned firstly imperial and later metric in school, it was a
>>no-brainer as far as I am concerned as to which system is the better
>>and easier one. Imperial, you basically have to learn it by rote, as
>>there no consistency at all. Metric... all you need to know is that it
>>goes up or down by 1, 10, 100, etc. making it so easy. No more '28
>>hogs heads to 1 chain', or whatever...

>It's a dying thing here, my grandchildren down only learned metric in
>school. The supermarkets still put price per pound in small letters
>to help seniors, when looking at some one day it occurred to me if
>they really want to help, surely the pound factor should be in the
>larger print

We also have some persistent inconstancies here too, certain products
such as farm gates are still generally referred to in ft and not
metres.

With heights, I'm still more imperial than metric - I can relate to
6ft but not 188cm so much. Yet for distances I'm metric