Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish Fingers' 60th Anniversary in the UK (Gdn)

On 2015-10-08 2:07 PM, graham wrote:

> It would be less than that. If kids are taught it in school without
> converting into footric at the same time, they will only think in metric.
> When I moved to Australia almost 45 years ago, the met office announced
> that "as of Monday, all temperatures will be given in Celsius." One soon
> got used to it by being forced to associate the weather with a
> particular number - which is all it is.

> Distances and sizes are more difficult to accommodate if one has been
> raised in the old system.

Not really. The trick is to stop converting all the time. In stead of
measuring something in one system and converting it to another, just use
the measurement. It is the converting part that messes people up and
there is usually no need to do that.

> In cooking it's a bind because my oven is graduated in Foreignheit,
> whereas many of my baking books use Celsius.

If you have a modern stove it is factory for Fahrenheit but can be set
to Celsius. If you oven has control knobs they can usually be replaced
with metric scale knobs.

Just thinking of Spinal Tap and the guitar amps fitted with knobs that
go up to 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o