Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message ...
On 08/18/2015 07:01 AM, W. Baker wrote:
T wrote:
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
: found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.

: Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
: sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to
find
: out whether they take.

: Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
: (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
: Diabetic friendly.

:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

: Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
: 1 Cup

: Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
: Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
: Glycemic Load ~ 1

: They taste a little like a dull zucchini

Why not eat those more exciting zuccini which can also vine a bit if the
Chayote i dull? I made some yelloe w summer squash the other day by
microvwaving it togeher with a tomato and some thinly slices onion with
sat pepper adn some fresh dill I happened tohave in the house. Noting
dull about that!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Perfect! Now you got me hungry.

I have been doing something similar with the zukes from my garden.

I was looking for something too grow on his hedgerow that would
grow by itself. Zucchini has made slaves out of us humans
and love to be pampered by us. At least they have made a
slave out of me!

Also, the bland nature of Chayote make it accept butter, Stevia
and cinnamon pretty well, but I am still working on that.
It doesn't come out too well.

-T

I have made it many times and it came out fine. I won't use stevia though.
Cook on the stove and it will be like apple pie filling.