Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message ...
On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message
On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message
On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of hot
chilli seeds!

Chuckle!

Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
makes a excellent cat repellent.

Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops the
squirrels pinching it.

Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
This one I have got to remember!

That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden and no
opportunity to try it out.

Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.

Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to find
out whether they take.

Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
(It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
Diabetic friendly.

I have a potato intolerance so no good for me. But until I developed that
intolerance, they were fine for me. No problems at all provided I didn't
eat too many at once.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2

Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
1 Cup

A chayote is in no way like a potato.

Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
Glycemic Load ~ 1

They taste a little like a dull zucchini

Not really.