Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" wrote in message ...
On 08/08/2015 01:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"T" wrote in message
Hi Ian,

If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

It is like adding MSG (flavor enhancer) without the
chemicals (excitotoxins) and the delayed headache.

There was a time I liked hot spicy food - these days it wreaks a
terrible revenge next day!

Bummer!

Can you take a "tiny" amount?

The idea is to put only a little in such that the change is
almost not perceptible. It just accelerated the flavors from
the other ingredients. A kind of non-toxic MSG.

I like the Chimayo peppers the best as they are full of
flavor, not just nasty heat like a lot of the others.
Mind you, a Chimayo can be nasty hot too if you don't dump
the seeds and you don't eat it with something with a lot
of fat. Chimayo is the flavor in an enchilada.

Chimayo is the flavor in an enchilada? What kind of enchilada? There are
many kinds and many sauces. So I just am not buying that.