Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 15:05:49 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 10/5/2015 11:43 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 10:30:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> I bought some choy sum at the L&L down the street. It was tasty so I asked the guy how he prepared the dish. I assumed that he steamed it but he boiled it in some salted water. That's it. Dead simple. It was served with a sauce of shoyu, and a little bit of oyster sauce and vinegar. It's sublime stuff but quite simple.

> > I bet it barely hit the water before he took it out.
> >

> I was surprised he didn't steam the choy sum. Chinese people love to
> steam everything. He told me that you lose lots of vitamins in the steam
> so he boils it. He told me to boil it until it's done. I boiled mine for
> about 5 minutes. It comes out fine.

Boy is he misinformed. Vitamin loss was a big argument in favor of
steaming them back in the '70s. "Higher temperatures, longer cooking
time and larger quantities of water cause more nutrients to be lost.
Water-soluble vitamins leach into cooking water, so vegetables lose
greater quantities of vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamins B-6 and
B-12, niacin and folate."

--

sf