Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_20_] dsi1[_20_] is offline

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On 10/6/2015 9:08 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 7/10/2015 6:00 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I was always told you lose less when steaming, not more. Boiling loses
>>> lots of vitamins.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Xeno

>> I agree with you. That Chinese guy is totally bonkers! OTOH, I'm not
>> all that concerned with vitamins.
>>

> I am concerned with vitamins but I also find that steaming tends to
> retain much more of the flavour. That can't be a bad thing! ;-)

The reality is that most of us are well-fed of our guts have no shortage
of vitamins as they parade through there in massive numbers. Our guts
will mostly use what it can and reject the rest. Boiling some choy sum
won't make much difference because this is one huge parade. As far as
throwing vitamins down the drain, with boiling, you'll lose some and
make other nutrients available. It's typically not a zero sum game.

As far as tastes goes, not boiling food won't guarantee that it won't
taste good. Boiled choy sum is tender and delicious! I typically won't
steam veggies because it's more of a hassle for me. I've used the rice
cooker to steam vegetables while cooking rice. It seemed like a great
idea but the condensates dripped onto the rice and made it look dirty.
That's not good!