Emery Davis

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:44:26 +0200, Ian Hoare > said:

] Salut/Hi Bill,
]
] le/on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:04:46 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
]
]
[]
] >While you are in the area, lunch at the CIA. It is about food. Chez Panisse
] >in SF is a place that should be near to your heart since they specialize in
] >very fresh veggies.
]
] I've heard good things about both. Depending upon how big my tips are
] between now and October, maybe I can afford to visit one or more!
]

Don't miss either if you can help it. The problem is that FL is very, very hard
to get a reservation. At one time they were accepting only on the day _exactly_
3 months before the desired date, a practice I found offensive. (As a result I
haven't been; but many folks who's judgement I respect have liked it.)

] >Hopefully you will not have to endure the type of service that has become
] >overly popular in the US. "Hi, I am Taffy and I will be your waitress".
]
] We had a thread on this some years ago. I remember holding forth on the
] subject at inimitable length. I think I might be tempted to reply "Well Hi,
] Tammy, I'm Ian, do you want to know about my piles?"
]

Unfortunately piles and farmers are unknown by that name to wider america.
What's the US slang equivilent, anyone know?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to