Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Taco salad shells

On 2015-09-13 18:41:28 +0000, notbob said:

> On 2015-09-13, William > wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carol! Gosh, I feel like I have a PhD in Taco Chemistry

> As if.....
>
> These are all gringo affectations. Authentic tacos are very
> different.

Ah... the tricky "authenticity". Mostly I look for good taste. Still
it is helpful when words and the names of dishes have more in common
than not.

> Picture two small corn tortillas, deep/pan fried in lard until pliable,
> then paired together and folded, then filled with a prepared meat such
> as cabeza, carnitas, birria, etc, and topped with finely chopped onion
> and cilantro. None of that burger meat, cheese, iceberg, and tomatoes
> nonsense. Gringos call them "soft" tacos. Mexicans call them tacos.

That's what this taco calls a taco.

> Granted, these are NorCal-style Mexican tacos,...

They're dead-center of what typifies SoCal-style Mexican tacos too.

> ...but they are more authentic than those hard/crispy pre-formed corn
> taco shells filled with Taco Bell ingredients. One thing is sure, I've
> never EVER seen any taco made with a flour tortilla.
>
> nb --Mexican cuisine loving gringo

I've stopped apologizing for liking Taco Bell-style tacos, but I don't
pretend they are anything but drive-through junk food. There oughta be
a better name than "Taco Bell-type tacos) for the crispy-shell
seasoned-burger, fake cheese and lettuce variety of taco. I've had
more feasible versions of this in "big plate" Mexican-ish chain
restaurants (e.g. El Torito, El Chico, et al), where they weren't junk
food, just a variation on a "real taco".