Wayne

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> clear

> cake

>> different
>> > easy

>> address
>> >
>> > You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake

> debate.
>> > It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a
>> > chocolate

>> cake
>> > by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old

> southern
>> > recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to

>> several
>> > recipes.

>> As I didn't see the link you posted, I googled and here is what I
>> came up with in "ABOUT"
>> http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm
>> that you might find interesting:
>> "
>> Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as

> Southern
>> as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time
>> in the 1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria
>> granted a diner's request for the recipe, then a short time later
>> sent her a bill in the amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently
>> with revenge in mind, then

> began
>> circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend
>> with

> the
>> same storyline is the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie, also known as the
>> Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe."

> Yes, that is the same information that was in the link that I posted.
> Although I doubt that fried chicken was invented in the south, I
> consider it a southern dish - same with the red velvet cake.

The first time I ever heard of "red cake", it was called "aldorf Astoria
Red Cake", no velvet about it. It was the same sort of cake, however,
and used the frosting based on cooked milk and flour. The first one I
ever saw was actually quite *red*, so must have had a minimum of cocoa in
it. I've since seen recipes that had as little 2 tablespoons of cocoa
and as much as 1/2 cup.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b