Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Steam Canner

On 8/28/2015 3:33 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:14:43 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:

>>> Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
>>> temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
>>> it on my induction burner yet, though.
>>>
>>> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
>>> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>>>
>>> I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
>>> canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.
>>>
>>> Rock on!

>> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>> rack costs more than I want to spend.

> Hi George,
>
> Do you use the rack to lift out the jars?
> I'm gettin' too shaky to lift out a whole rack of quart jars in one of
> those flimsy wire racks so a few years ago I bought a flat SS rack
> from the Local Lee Valley Tools store. Use a jar lifter to take out
> the jars one at a time.
> It's this one:
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Depends on the jar size Ross, I'm old and decrepit too. Pints and
smaller I lift out with the rack, quarts get lifted with the antique jar
lifter made by Grip-Tite many years ago. I'm not shaky yet but a
partially paralyzed right arm and hand doesn't help matters so I'm a lot
more cautious then I used to be. I have several stainless racks, saved
from a long defunct microwave that will fit in most of my big pots. I
often use one or more when I'm doing small jars to get a full load going
to shorten the time at the stove.