Posted to rec.food.preserving
Randal Oulton Randal Oulton is offline

Default Steam Canner

My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling even, but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10 minutes now. I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill pickles tonight, 4 x 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam canner.

You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning; pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high acid stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C (212 F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a proper pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June this summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara Ingham, and I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.

I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My only wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or something when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned chopping something else, but it doesn't.