Old 22-08-2015, 05:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"Don Roberto" wrote in message
On 8/18/2015 1:47 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

: "T" wrote in message
: On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
:
: "T" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi Ian,
:
: If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
: cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
: Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
: end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.
:
: Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile
of hot
: chilli seeds!
:
: Chuckle!
:
: Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
: makes a excellent cat repellent.
:
: Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it
stops the
: squirrels pinching it.
:
: Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
: This one I have got to remember!
:
: That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden
and no
: opportunity to try it out.
:
: Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
: found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.
:
:
: Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had
started to
: sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats
to find
: out whether they take.
:
: Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out
there?
: (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
: Diabetic friendly.

: If I had a patio/balcony - I could put a bird table out there.

: The sprouting potatoes were just another thing to seed the hedgerow
with -
: often when I take my rubbish down, I find people have left punnets
of fruit
: on top of the bins, sometimes I chuck them in the hedgerow in case
the seeds
: might grow.

If those potatos actually take and produce more potatos you can always
either give thenm to your neighbors or donate them to the ocal food bank
for the poor adn hungry.

The exercise of planting addd picking them as well as ay weedign and
tendiing will be a godsend for your diabetes, helping keep the numbers
down.

I'd get some funny looks if I started tending the hedgerow behind the
flats - its just an experiment to see what grows, I have no control over
who helps themselves to any produce.

I keep a little tub for the pips/pits from any fruit I have, there's a
line of woods along a cycle track I use every day - that's been seeded
with quite a variety over the past few years.

Do you recognize anything growing there that may have originated in your
"little tub"?

Its a bit optimistic to hope for what might eventually be trees to be
recognisable this soon.

I've posted a WANTED on a free recycling group for any leftover veg seeds -
there ought to be some tangible evidence before I conk out.