Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"T" > wrote in message ...
> On 08/18/2015 07:01 AM, W. Baker wrote:
>> T > wrote:
>> : On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>> : >
>> : Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
>> : found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.
>>

>> : > Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
>> : > sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to
>> find
>> : > out whether they take.
>>
>> : Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out there?
>> : (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
>> : Diabetic friendly.
>>
>> :
>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2842/2
>>
>> : Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
>> : 1 Cup
>>
>> : Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
>> : Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
>> : Glycemic Load ~ 1
>>
>> : They taste a little like a dull zucchini
>>
>> Why not eat those more exciting zuccini which can also vine a bit if the
>> Chayote i dull? I made some yelloe w summer squash the other day by
>> microvwaving it togeher with a tomato and some thinly slices onion with
>> sat pepper adn some fresh dill I happened tohave in the house. Noting
>> dull about that!
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> Perfect! Now you got me hungry.
>
> I have been doing something similar with the zukes from my garden.
>
> I was looking for something too grow on his hedgerow that would
> grow by itself.

Runner beans are climbers and would love the hedgerow bushes, but I'd have
to pay for the seeds and its a fair bet the neigbours would harvest the crop
before I got any.

Its pretty much whatever seeds become available for free, get thrown on any
likely looking patch of common land.

The woods by the cycle track are mostly very old trees that tend to fall
over in any harsh weather we get - it crossed my mind that a few fruit trees
might fill the increasing number of gaps. Any fruit pips/pits I come by get
chucked in there.

The local authority sends workmen to mow any grass verges, so anything
strewn there would get cut. It needs to be seeds that can grow in the rough
bits where the mower can't go.