Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default ping Ian: secret ingredient

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ian Field > wrote:
>
> : "T" > wrote in message
> : > On 08/16/2015 01:55 PM, Ian Field wrote:
> : >>
> : >> "T" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> On 08/16/2015 08:50 AM, Ian Field wrote:
> : >>>>
> : >>>> "T" > wrote in message
> : >>>> ...
> : >>>>> On 08/15/2015 01:10 PM, Ian Field wrote:
> : >>>>>>
> : >>>>>> "T" > wrote in message
> : >>>>>> ...
> : >>>>>>> Hi Ian,
> : >>>>>>>
> : >>>>>>> If you haven't done you soup/broth test in your slow
> : >>>>>>> cooker, in addition to your vegi's, toss in a dried
> : >>>>>>> Chimayo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Break off the
> : >>>>>>> end and pour out the seeds, or it will be very hot.
> : >>>>>>
> : >>>>>> Now I'm wondering what mischief I can get up to with a pile of
> hot
> : >>>>>> chilli seeds!
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>> Chuckle!
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>> Grind them up! Throw the powder on your lawn. It
> : >>>>> makes a excellent cat repellent.
> : >>>>
> : >>>> Apparently; if you spice the food put out for the birds - it stops
> the
> : >>>> squirrels pinching it.
> : >>>
> : >>> Perfect! I read that birds are not affected by hot peppers.
> : >>> This one I have got to remember!
> : >>
> : >> That's what I have been told, but I live in a flat with no garden and
> no
> : >> opportunity to try it out.
> : >
> : > Do you have a patio? You could get a tomato in a pot. I have
> : > found cherry Tomatoes are best for this.
> : >
> : >
> : >> Someone dumped a sack of potatoes in the bin room that had started to
> : >> sprout roots - I cast a few along the hedgerow behind the flats to
> find
> : >> out whether they take.
> : >
> : > Potatoes are not real good for Diabetics. Does Chayote grow out
> there?
> : > (It doesn't here.) It likes to vine all over things. Chayotes are
> : > Diabetic friendly.
>
> : If I had a patio/balcony - I could put a bird table out there.
>
> : The sprouting potatoes were just another thing to seed the hedgerow
> with -
> : often when I take my rubbish down, I find people have left punnets of
> fruit
> : on top of the bins, sometimes I chuck them in the hedgerow in case the
> seeds
> : might grow.

> [...]

I'd get some funny looks if I started tending the hedgerow behind the
flats - its just an experiment to see what grows, I have no control over who
helps themselves to any produce.

I keep a little tub for the pips/pits from any fruit I have, there's a line
of woods along a cycle track I use every day - that's been seeded with quite
a variety over the past few years.