Posted to rec.food.preserving
Randal Oulton Randal Oulton is offline

Default Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett)

Maldon at least doesn't have the caking agents in it, so you're good to go that way.

If this chart here is correct and gives full details about its composition, if there's any iodine, it's negligible trace elements that weren't worth mentioning.

http://www.saltworks.us/maldon_seasa...l#.Vc906_Qeok8

This (odd) page http://www.shopwell.com/maldon-sea-s...s/p/4797200000 says "does not supply iodine, a necessary nutrient."

This page http://www.epicurious.com/archive/bl...healthier.html says "Some types of sea salt, including many from Greece, are iodized. But flaky Maldon salt from England--my personal favorite--and fleur de sel from France are not among them" (Though all the writer is asserting is that there is no added iodine, which we already know.)

It's very hard to find any information directly on the topic from a reputable authority on how much if any iodine is naturally present in Maldon Salt. I'll write to the Maldon people and ask directly. But the answer may take a while. After all, it has to come all the way from Maldon on the Mud (what the locals call the town); I have family who were born there.

I'd be willing to bet 50 cents though that you're okay as far as clouding and discoloration goes.

NOW, as far as the actual act of using Maldon Salt for pickling! That's as sacrilegious as Nigella Lawson tossing it into her pasta water! :}