Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Pot pies

On 2015-08-13 17:41:15 +0000, KenK said:

> Sqwertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 13 Aug 2015 16:51:29 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> I love pot pies. Just made one yesterday. Unfortunately I do not like
>>> buying the expensive pie shells. Making my own crust is beyond my
>>> capabilities.
>>>
>>> My probably futile question:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to make a faux pot pie? A casserole with all the
>>> ingredients except the pie crust, but with the addition of comething
>>> to give at least a small hint of pie crust taste?
>>>
>>> Probably hopeless but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

>> Make a crustless pot pie and cover the top with flattened canned
>> biscuit dough, store-bought puff pie pastry, or use a Bisquick
>> topping such as:
>>
>> http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...en-pot-pie/f56
>> faec7-3303-4720-9e68-adbd534fb0f6
>>

> Thank you. Printed it. Have you tried this? Does it taste like
> tradutional pie crust or bisquits?
>
>> Also, look for pre-made pie dough rolled into logs and sold in the
>> refrigerator section. The last two I bought were $1.38/pair. They're
>> a lot cheaper than buying the pre-formed p[ie shells in the disposable
>> pans.
>>

> Was not aware of that product. Thanks. Probablr right next to the formed
> crusts and I didn't see it.

O god I love a pot pie. Everytime the wife and I are shopping and I
begin the begging she insists on showing me nutritional information
where it's "fat" measure is "it will kill you". I'd never though about
trying my hand at it, but if it's just a bisquick or biscuit dough
solution, that may well be at my skill level.