Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Old Lady lunch today

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 05:34:31 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I meant to add, if you are dining alone ... what then? Do they still bring
> > you a massive portion must you forgo it?
> >

> I'm often by myself and it's very annoying, especially at lunch time. It's almost impossible to get a light lunch anymore. The best bet seems to be a coffee bar where they will usually have snack sizes. Restaurants are impossible unless one has the will power to leave most of the food on the plate.

When I'm familiar with the restaurants, it's easy enough to pick a
spot that serves reasonable portions or two of us split a plate we
both want if we know they're huge portions. Fortunately, where I live
the portions aren't gigantic (or maybe we've winnowed down where we
eat to restaurants that normal portions). Overhead is too high here
for them to overfill the plate and stay in business. I like the
places that will offer half portions, so a big eater gets his fill and
a smaller eater isn't overwhelmed by the amount of food. When I know
an appetizer portion is the same size as a dinner portion and I don't
want the other stuff they're putting on the plate, I order the
appetizer and a salad. If I'm lucky, there's still room for dessert.
We share dessert, no matter what size it is. Take affogato for
instance. Espresso and a scoop of ice cream/gelato. One person could
eat it, but we share.

--

sf