Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Lady lunch today

On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:56:20 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I was surprised when I learned of the massive portions served in US. What
> is the reason for it?

To make people feel like they're getting a lot for their money. The
cost of the raw materials is relatively small compared to other costs
(personnel, etc.), so it's a way of getting people to pay enough to
cover all of those costs while not spending very much to do so.

A lot of people are pleased when they can take home half (or more)
of their restaurant meal to eat the next day. Quite a few people
don't mind gorging; either they habitually do so or are willing
to make up for the calories in some other way (smaller lunch if
they're going out to dinner, extra time at the gym, etc.)

Cindy Hamilton