Dimitri

"Captain Infinity" > wrote in message
> I see the cans sitting together on the shelf at the supermarket, but
> don't know the purpose of either. Can someone tell me the difference
> between evaporated milk and condensed milk?
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

From epicurious;

Dimitri

evaporated milk
This canned, unsweetened milk is fresh, homogenized milk from which 60
percent of the water has been removed. Vitamin D is added for extra
nutritional value. It comes in whole, lowfat and skim forms; the whole-milk
version must contain at least 7.9 percent milk fat, the lowfat has about
half that and the skim version 1/2 percent or less. As it comes from the
can, evaporated milk is used to enrich custards or add a creamy texture to
many dishes. When mixed with an equal amount of water, it can be substituted
for fresh milk in recipes. Evaporated milk is less expensive than fresh milk
and is therefore popular for many cooked dishes. It has a slightly
caramelized, "canned" flavor that is not appreciated by all who taste it.
Canned milk can be stored at room temperature until opened, after which it
must be tightly covered and refrigerated for no more than a week. When
slightly frozen, evaporated milk can be whipped and used as an inexpensive
substitute for whipped cream.

sweetened condensed milk
A mixture of whole milk and sugar, 40 to 45 percent of which is sugar. This
mixture is heated until about 60 percent of the water evaporates. The
resulting condensed mixture is extremely sticky and sweet. Unsweetened
condensed milk is referred to as EVAPORATED MILK. Store unopened sweetened
condensed milk at room temperature for up to 6 months. Once opened, transfer
the unused milk to an airtight container, refrigerate and use within 5 days.
Sweetened condensed milk is used in baked goods and desserts such as
candies, puddings, pies, etc.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst