Fred

Default Alcohol in bread?

"Iraxl Enb" > wrote in message
> I have been baking bread for a little bit now, and I recently
> noticed that if I take a thin slice of the freshly baked bread
> and smell it, it smells quite strongly of alcohol, tastes quite
> good though.
>
> The recipie I follow is just a regular bread recipie with flour,
> water, yeast, sugar, salt oil. My rise times are about 90mins,
> 90mins, baking for about 45mins at 350.
>
> Is this just normal, or am I putting in too much yeast/sugar/rising?
>
> TIA, irax.

The yeast engages in a fermentation process. It burns sugar and produces
carbon dioxide and alcohol as byproducts. It is the carbon dioxide that
provides the leavening. Baking the bread should cause almost all if not all
of the alcohol to evaporate. What you encountered is normal.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com