alzelt

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote in message
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result

> of
>
>>>fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as

> the
>
>>>liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
>>>form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

>>Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

> the
>
>>classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
>>white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

> beat
>
>>the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
>>mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

> over
>
>>the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
>>As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

> Then
>
>>you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
> chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
> important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
> slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
> needed.

Seems like the easiest way is to make the stock, and add a couple of
handfuls of ice cubes. That should cause the fat to congeal, making
removal easy.
--
Alan

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we."

........President George W. Bush, at the signing of the $417
billion defense-spending bill, August, 2004