Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > I don't think the muslin will help. Cloudy stock is usually the result

of
> > fat getting emulsified and incorporated because of boiling. Slim it as

the
> > liquid comes to a simmer, removing the coagulated protein deposits that
> > form. Then NEVER boil - a very low simmer at most.

> Skimming (as I assume you meant, rather than "slimming") will help, but

the
> classic way to clarify stock is with egg whites, at a ratio of 1 large egg
> white per quart of stock, plus an extra egg white for each gallon. You

beat
> the egg whites until they get frothy, then mix in the stock. Heat the
> mixture over medium heat: The egg whites will coagulate and form a cap

over
> the stock. After about 45 minutes of simmering, take the pot off the heat.
> As the cap cools, it will sink through the stock, filtering it further.

Then
> you can ladle off the clarified stock.
>
> Bob

I agree with what you say but my experience is that you can get a very clear
chicken stock without any special clarification steps if you skim and, most
important, never boil but only gently simmer. The egg step might add a
slight extra level of clarity but for most purposes I think it is not
needed.

--
Peter Aitken