Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default North America

On 6/14/2015 11:52 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-06-14 12:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I've heard the opposite on things like TVs. They are made a bit cheaper
>> for WalMart by leaving out some filters and the like. I've heard it
>> about tools sold by the big box stores versus the local hardware store.
>>
>> To date, I've never seen hard evidence, such as two tools or TVs taken
>> apart and compared. Until I do see it I'm rather skepticalI

> I have to wonder about some of the claims I have heard. I know the big
> stores are selling cheap products for the benefit of those who find
> value in buying cheap and replacing the stuff way too soon. I find it
> hard to believe that they would cheapen some of the parts of any
> particular model since, being a model, there are certain replacement
> parts, so they have to be standard. A more likely scenario is that the
> manufacturers make a special model for those guys.

If you're a buyer like Costco, you can specify how a product is
manufactured and the price you want to pay for it. If it's something
like canned tuna, it's gonna be a better product than what you can find
in supermarkets. My guess is that a lot of manufacturers are happy to
get that gig even though they have to jump through hoops to accommodate
the buyer.

I don't know what Walmart's philosophy on the products they buy is but
they're probably more interested in a good enough product at a great
price point. My guess is that manufacturers are happy to get that gig
too.