Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2015 11:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 11:16:48 -0500, MaryL

>>> The LED lamps and flashlights are excellent. I found one under the
>>> seat of my car yesterday, been there for maybe 8/9 years. Squeezed
>>> the gizmo that operates it and lo and behold, still working That
>>> was one of the type you can squeeze about ten times and then it runs
>>> on that for ten minutes. I had put it in the car thinking sometime it
>>> might be very useful

>> We have several lamps, radio and torches that don't need batteries. We
>> can just wind them up, so if all else fails ...
>>

> I also have several of those wind-up items, but none work well for me. A
> problem is that I have vision problems and arthritis in my hands, so that
> alone has caused difficulty when I try to "crank" those items.

I totally understand as I have similar problems but hubby can do it and of
course they are simply a backup to all the other lamps etc. All of our
wind-ups are mains rechargeable too, so we keep them topped up and would
only have to wind when the existing charge ran down. In addition we keep
kerosene pressure and wick lamps, butane lamps, battery lamps that use D, C,
AA, and AAA cells so that if we run out of batteries we have best chance of
finding some of one size or another, some solar charged lamps with their own
panels, and 12v lamps that will run off 12v batteries that can be charged by
solar panels or the generator, plus plenty of candles and lamps to hold
them. Most of the battery/rechargeable lamps are LED but a couple are
fluorescent tubes.

HTH

My

--