Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...
> When I lived on Long Island when there were protracted power outages
> the entire neighborhood hosted a giant cookout, even pets were invited
> to eat, it was cook and eat or toss tons of food. When Hurricane
> Gloria hit there was no power where I lived in Shoreham for eleven
> days, no phone lines either and there were no cell phones then, it was
> my daughter's 16th birthday. Scroll down to the Long Island section:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

A couple of years ago we had a freak late snow storm which took out
the mainland power pylons that feed the undersea cable to this island
(and many of the wooden poles here, so no phones either). The island had
no mains power for 6 weeks and large areas were completely cut off by
deep snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21922510

Janet UK