Posted to rec.food.cooking
jinx the minx jinx the minx is offline

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

MaryL > wrote:
> On 5/19/2015 7:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 May 2015 07:01:10 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I don't overdo it, but I do keep a stock of canned goods plus dried
>>> produce such as beans--enough to last for a week in an emergency. I
>>> live in East Texas, and I have lost power for 7 days in each of two
>>> hurricanes that affected this area. I eat primarily fresh produce with
>>> some frozen food for my regular routine. I would need power to cook the
>>> dried food, so I do keep several containers of peanut butter, canned
>>> tuna and chicken, and other items that do not need to be cooked. I even
>>> keep a couple of cans of Spam. That is the only item that I do not
>>> include in my regular diet, but it would "do" in an emergency.

>> Yes, I can imagine you'd want to be prepared for a hurricane and its
>> aftermath.
>>

> I also learned during those events to keep *lots* of batteries of
> different sizes on hand. I completely ran out of batteries the first
> time, and every store in town sold out the first day. Now, I keep lots
> of batteries, but I do cycle through them by putting the first expiration
> dates at the front. I also keep several gallons of bottled water. I do
> not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that would be the
> most important item in the event of a true emergency.
>
> MaryL

Thanks for that tip, Mary! We just bought a waterfront vacation home
directly on the gulf and I know DH is obsessing a bit on hurricane risk.
We just closed on the place four days ago, so I'm planning on flying down
later this week to buy furniture and housewares. I'll definitely be adding
extra batteries to my shopping list.
--
jinx the minx