Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why canned food is not as good as fresh

On 2015-05-19 8:47 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> LED flashlights/lanterns will operate for years on the same battery,
> and give far brighter light.

I have been replacing flashlights with LED flashlights. They don't
provide a powerful beam but they do give enough light and in wider area
and they are so much more energy efficient. One of mine is rechargeable
with a USB cable.

>> I also keep several gallons of bottled
>> water. I do not use bottled water except when I am traveling, but that
>> would be the most important item in the event of a true emergency.

> During power outages private wells won't operate and often town wells
> don't operate. Besides bottled drinking water it's very advisable to
> have many gallons of pond/creek water for flushing toilets.

We have a well and cistern, both close to the house. We have a distiller
for our drinking water and usually have at least 10 gallons on hand. We
can drop a pail into either water source for flushing water.