Bob

notbob wrote:

> I tried AB's trick of salting raw cabbage slaw to leach the moisture
> out so it wouldn't get soggy, then washing and draining . It didn't work
> out too well. Sure, the moisture was drawn out, but I could never get the
> salt off, no matter how many times I wash and dried. Maybe I left the
> salt on too long. Anyone remember the recommended time?

Here's the recipe, but I've never tried it. Did you use kosher salt?

Alton Brown's Cole Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse
thoroughly and dry. In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients
except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and
carrot with the dressing.

Yield: Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes Easy of preparation: easy

Bob