Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Ikea

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:38:37 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 4/27/2015 1:26 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:44:03 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
> >
> >> The point is, NO job should be sown up by a union.
> >>
> >> As a worker I should be able to get a job at a grocer and opt-out of the
> >> union if I so choose.
> >>
> >> It's all about CHOICE!

> > In the current state of affairs, if you had no union shops keeping
> > wages high - non-union wages and working conditions would be pitiful.

> Untrue.
>
> > You only need to look as far as any third world or emerging nation to
> > understand.

> But this is not the 3rd world.

It's not, with thanks to unions.

> And guess what, non union workers and economies do quite well, for example:

Is this really supposed to be an example of how well non-union workers
are doing? The good wages I see are due to unions or a direct threat
of unionization. If unions didn't exist, wages and working conditions
would never improve.

> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-true...o-labor-costs/
>
> In Kentucky, for example, Toyota workers in Georgetown earn about $30
> per hour, while the median wage in the state for manufacturing jobs,
> according to the Department of Labor, is $12.64.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederic...twice-as-much/
>
> As Michael Maibach, president and chief executive of the European
> American Business Council, puts it, union-management relations in the
> U.S. are “adversarial,” whereas in Germany they’re “collaborative.”

And there is still an obvious need for unions in Germany.

> Does such a happy relationship survive when German automakers set up
> shop in the U.S.? No. As a historian observes in the article, “BMW is a
> German company and it has a very German hierarchy and management system
> in Germany,” yet “when they are operating in Spartanburg [in South
> Carolina] they have become very, very easily adaptable to Spartanburg
> business culture.” At Volkswagen’s Chattanooga plant, the nonunionized
> new employees get $14.50 an hour, which rises to $19.50 after three years.

Whoop tee doo!

--

sf