Posted to rec.food.cooking
W. Lohman W. Lohman is offline

Default Ikea

On 4/27/2015 1:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:44:03 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> The point is, NO job should be sown up by a union.
>>
>> As a worker I should be able to get a job at a grocer and opt-out of the
>> union if I so choose.
>>
>> It's all about CHOICE!

> In the current state of affairs, if you had no union shops keeping
> wages high - non-union wages and working conditions would be pitiful.

Untrue.

> You only need to look as far as any third world or emerging nation to
> understand.

But this is not the 3rd world.

And guess what, non union workers and economies do quite well, for example:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-true...o-labor-costs/

In Kentucky, for example, Toyota workers in Georgetown earn about $30
per hour, while the median wage in the state for manufacturing jobs,
according to the Department of Labor, is $12.64.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederic...twice-as-much/

As Michael Maibach, president and chief executive of the European
American Business Council, puts it, union-management relations in the
U.S. are “adversarial,” whereas in Germany they’re “collaborative.”

Does such a happy relationship survive when German automakers set up
shop in the U.S.? No. As a historian observes in the article, “BMW is a
German company and it has a very German hierarchy and management system
in Germany,” yet “when they are operating in Spartanburg [in South
Carolina] they have become very, very easily adaptable to Spartanburg
business culture.” At Volkswagen’s Chattanooga plant, the nonunionized
new employees get $14.50 an hour, which rises to $19.50 after three years.