Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Ikea

On 4/27/2015 11:39 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-04-27 10:30 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> There are the people who work in a union shop, let the union improve
>> their working conditions and salary, but don't join - then talk about
>> how great things are without joining a union. Ed's one of those.
>>

> I worked with a lot of people like that. They enjoyed the benefits but
> didn't want to do any of the work themselves, or even bother to show up
> for meetings.

This is where I differ. I've often stated, if I lived in the 1930's, Id
probably be a union organizer. The unions did a lot to improve working
conditions, wages, etc. They were needed. They did good many years ago
and maybe still do in a few shops.

My working full time started in the 1960s. If I joined a union, I would
have been held back. I would not let them do the work for me because i
could do it better. I've bee to a couple of meeting where unions tried
to organizes us and walked out scratching my head.

In my entire working career, my wages have always been higher than any
union worker in the place. My benefits have always been better. I've
always had more time off. I've always have more flexible hours.

Tell my why I should give up any of that and have to pay dues? I'm very
capable of taking care of myself and my family and have never been
restricted by a group of people towing the union line and hating the
company.

The two companies I've worked for for the past 30 years have no unions,
but we treat the people well, pay a fair wage, we give them good
benefits and a safe working environment.