williamwaller

On 8/18/04 4:43 PM, "Kenneth" > wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:27:44 -0500, williamwaller
> > wrote:
>
>> What you have done is recreate the environment of a small steam oven within
>> your larger oven. The dough will release enough water vapor to fully develop
>> the bread and set the stage for an excellent crust when it finally hits the
>> hot dry air.

> Hi Will,
>
> My comment is not to suggest that there is anything wrong with you
> approach, but, assuming that I am understanding your comments
> correctly, it is not "recreating" the environment of a small steam
> oven at all.
>
> In an oven with steam, the cool dough is put in the hot oven and then
> steam is injected. The injection of steam allows the stored heat of
> the oven to move into the surface of the loaf much more rapidly than
> if the loaf were surrounded by dry air.
>
> Your technique is analogous to putting the dough into a cold oven,
> heating the oven for twenty minutes or so, and then injecting steam.
>
> I am sure that you would agree that for the first many minutes that
> the ceramic container is in the oven there is no steam created inside
> because it is far too cool.
>
> All the best,

Agreed. There is no relevant "steam" created for a while because the ceramic
pot needs to heat.

My message needs to be clarified, since I am using the word "steam" loosely.

Water vapor is being released. And the water vapor is keeping the dough's
surface moist allowing the both the dough and it's surface to develop
further. The dough begins to heat, begins to bake, without drying out on the
surface. This allows the dough to release more water and more efficiently
too, since it's not "sealed". I think of this aspect as heat conditioning. I
think the dough's interior cooks more completely when it's dry crust
formation is delayed. The interior of the crumb, for example, become more
glossy, not dull off-white.

Steam, obviously, is a specific state of water vapor. There is no rule that
says to me that "steam" is inherently better for bread than water vapor at a
different temperature. Both delay the hardening crust, both allow the bread
to outgas more thoroughly. And both convect heat into the bread. But we
know, or should, that convected energy is only surficial. Radiant energy is
what penetrates the loaves. That would be the from oven walls, the deck ,the
stone, or in my example, the sides of the clay pot. Not the steam.

Perhaps we need a physicist to address the "steam as carrier of oven energy"
issue. My infra-red sauna heats me a lot quicker than those old hot rock and
water numbers.

Will