Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salad Dressing

> wrote in message
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 1:58:27 PM UTC-5, BBQ wrote:

> I want a salad.
> Of course I need salad dressing as well.
>
> I want it creamy and rich, but without adding all of the fat, so I
> simply use a mixture of half mayonnaise and half greek yogurt. The
> greek yogurt is a healthy alternative to using all mayonnaise as there
> is less cholesterol.

Be wary of Greek yogurt's fat content. In just 7 ounces, Fage's full-fat
Greek yogurt packs 16 grams of saturated fat--or 80 percent of your total
daily allowance if you're on a 2,000-calorie diet. (That's more than in
three Snickers bars.) Dannon's regular full-fat yogurt has 5 grams of
saturated fat in an 8-ounce serving. Saturated fat raises total and "bad"
LDL cholesterol levels, increasing the risk for heart disease. Read
nutrition labels carefully. If you're going Greek, stick to low-fat and
fat-free versions.

---

That is highly controversial information and not everyone needs to limit
their fat intake. I am opposed to the low fat and fat free dairy products.
In many cases they just add sugar or other forms of carbs to make up for
what they are lacking. Better to eat the real thing. I do buy low fat milk
but then milk is something we don't use a lot of at all. A small carton
usually goes bad before it's all used up.